Thursday 4 February 2016

PERFECT ME LORDS OF POETRY

This I ask not in folly but in honesty,
Perfect me gods of poetry
Make me an eyes that sees,
Make me the mouth that speaks.
Let me be the hands that writes,
The legs that walk for perfection
The tongue that taste words.




Perfect me Wole Soyinka
Perfect me Chinua Achebe
Perfect me Eriata Oribhabor
Perfect my Art J.P Clarks
Make me better through your remains Shakespeare
Breath into me Kukogho Iruesiri Samson.



Like the Thespians are initiated into their fold,
Initiate me into the fold of Poetry, my Lords.
Let me walk with you, Graciano Enwerem;
Hold my hands through your ghost, Christopher Okigbo;
Kiss me with a mouth of poetry, langston Hughes.



I pray in the name name of Maya Angelou,
I supplicate on my kneels in your name Williams Butler;
Baptise me with words, let me eat poetry,
I pray thee gods of poetry.



Cleanse my head, Pablo Neruda.
Fill my pen with your knowledge, Thomas Hardy.
Induce me into the shade, Gabriel Okara.
Where is the remains of your Biro, Niyi Osundare?!
I want to write with it to be better.



Where are the dust of your feet, Remi Raji?
Can I get your last draft, Ken Saro Wiwa?
I want to belong; to be a pen lord, lord of poetry.
Perfect me, distill me and cook me with
The remains of the atoms of your knowledge.




(C) John Chizoba Vincent

No comments:

Post a Comment