Saturday 16 January 2016

A JOURNEY THAT NEVER WAS (A Short story)

I woke From my slumber with a hopeful eyes, I unlocked my heart from the kennel Where it was frustrated the other day, Strengthened my stiffened body thousand times And then prowled to the backyard with a sleek smiles. I saw him seated in the corner of the enclaved house, He was wagging his mouth to mother like a dog tail, Then I smiled again and watched the butterflies Flew out of my mouth with my joy and peace. Some returned back into my mouths afraid. Never mind, I moved on and on and, on to bath my happiness with the holy water of freedom of leaving home. "Go back your things, we are leaving" he said. My heart jumped out from my body, dancing with a clapping hands of the last air bender. Mother motioned me to go with a happy face, I move on to the bathroom to wash out home And look forward to wearing city life on my body. As I came back to the room, we packed our things, I ran out to say goodbye to the dark village and my old clay dusty friends at the village square playing our games. The trees weren't happy I was going, the sand sucked, The sun hid her face, the papers revolt against me; The walls of the compound came fighting but I have failed over and over again, Each time I failed, I learnt how not to do it and try another method, not for once giving up; That is why I now succeeded in this time in convincing my Uncle through the phone. When I returned back with fear of what the town holds for me, I already saw my uncle in the car waiting for me to enter into the car. I entered and we drove off leaving mother and little Nneoma weeping like crocodile at the compound. My heart failed me million times, my man swelled and Made the atmosphere bitter, but my uncle was happy, He moved on, on and on smiling. He looked at me and the windscreen, he let out a forced smile which changed the accommodated peace in me. "Sorry boy, leaving home is like breaking away from childhood but, you will over come it soon" he said. The rainful tears sagged and dropped finally from my young emerging eyes. We passed so many people, those on the street, the market; church and finally we got to the Niger bridge And My uncle spoke again in a baritone voice, "Mongo park built this and died here, what a hell was he looking for when he discovered this hell of a river?" I didn't speak nor wink my eyes, my spirit was at home eating the pieces of fish that mother do keep in the basket that is always at the fire place. When we got to the rasturate where we would bite some breads into our stomach, many beautiful ladies ran to where I was sitting and gave me rain of kisses on my cheek which left me speechless and dumb. After eating, I waved to those killing ladies and we left, I make sure that those rainful kisses do not leave my cheek because I could perceive the fragrances which tell of their love and beautiful kindness. We prowled on with the car of my uncle until we got to another phase where my uncle halt and I saw many children and they were like the angels bath with holiness. I watched them with their angelical voice singing and dancing on the road. Later I stopped and my uncle went into shop to buy me the bicycle he had promised me for a very long time... But then I felt a hand on my back, very hot. "Wake up it is time to get prepared for school" I stood up, cleaned my eyes and saw my mother standing in front of me with the same smile I saw in the dream... (C) John Chizoba Vincent. Another Voice From The East

No comments:

Post a Comment